Whole of Class Program
The KooLKIDs Whole of Class program is a 13 session school-based program organised around the four KOOL modules. It is designed to assist children aged 8 - 11 years to build skills to regulate their emotions, behaviour and learning. The KooLKIDS Whole of Class program supports children to develop a better sense of self-worth and self-awareness, understand how to manage their emotional wellbeing and develop prosocial behaviours.
Module 1: Know Yourself (Strengths)
- To recognise that we all have unique qualities and strengths.
- To recognise and celebrate our strengths.
- To learn to like ourselves and build self-esteem
- To understand that tuning into our thoughts and self-talk helps us know ourselves, our strengths and the areas we need to work on.
- To recognize that positive and negative moments in our life shape us into who we are today.
- To introduce the ABC model, a cognitive behavioural tool that helps students change the way they think and feel.
- To understand that when we have our needs met we can build on our strengths and develop a positive sense of self.
- We all have needs for fun and freedom; love and belonging; and a sense of power and responsibility.
- Knowing the right time and right place to meet our needs.
Module 2: Understanding Our needs and emotion (emotions)
- To introduce students to feelings and emotions that everyone experiences in their daily lives.
- To understand that emotions are the end result of our self-talk.
- To gain a deeper understanding of negative emotions.
- To understand the impact that thoughts and self-talk can have on feelings and behaviour.
- To learn and practice conflict resolution strategies.
- To learn strategies to help us manage difficult emotions.
Module 3: Understanding Others' needs and emotions (empathy)
- To understand that empathy is the ability to understand how others might feel.
- To learn to recognize emotions in others and adjust personal actions to resolve situations.
- To remember the importance of putting ourselves in “other peoples' shoes”.
- To recognize the role that negative thoughts play in negative outcomes.
Module 4: Live well with others
- To understand friendship building and friendship blocking behaviour.
- To learn the importance of social skills in order to live well with others.
- To develop friendship skills.
- To learn that to be a team player is essential for building good relationships with others.
- Class review and celebration
- To consolidate the knowledge and skills learnt over the last twelve weeks.